My Current Home - 2006 Sprinter Van 158 Model
In August 2016, I purchased a used 2006 158" Dodge Sprinter van (Super high) from a dealer in Texas for $16k. It has 98k miles and the bottom of the van has a rust-protecting undercoating. I converted the van into my new RV in 10 working days spread out over 4 weeks. I purchased a one-month membership at Techshop so I had access to a chop saw, table saw, tools so all of my cuts were straight and accurate. The TechShop also was next to a Lowes so it was extremely convenient while building the van.
I modeled my van by using Cyrus Sutton's folding bed/hammock design. I chose it because I would have easy access to the storage cabinets on each side of the van and it allowed for a much larger bed (almost king size) while not sacrificing access to storage.
- TWO 6 volt Fullriver batteries Large 12 volt AGM house battery (Duracell 20 amp hours) ($235) with voltage monitor ($11) http://amzn.to/2bo3p9v
- White LED lights on the ceiling in the center of the van hooked up to a toggle switch ($17) http://amzn.to/2bdsXFR and switches: ($6) http://amzn.to/2bnzoIc
- Fuse Box ($11) http://amzn.to/2byP0G4
- TWO solar panels mounted on the roof - Renogy 100 Watt Monocrystalline Solar Starter Kit with MPPT ($420)
- Whynter45-Quart Portable Refrigerator/Freezer ($514)
- Mattress 4-Inch Memory Foam Mattress Topper ($143)
- Hand powered water pump ($21) attached to a 5 gallon water tank
- Portable Toilet ($69) http://amzn.to/2aeFxAv
- Maxx Fan with remote ($258) http://amzn.to/2aeH4GI
- A/C 500W inverter that has 2 AC plugs and 2 USB ports ($30) http://amzn.to/2b1IyFg
- Wireless antenna amplifier ($65) http://amzn.to/2bdus7b and wireless repeater ($79) http://www.ccrane.com/WiFi/WiFi-Hotspot-Repeater-Accessory
- Reflectix insulation ($23) http://amzn.to/2aLdwCO
- Denim batting on the sides and ceiling of the van
- 12-Volt Heated Travel Blanket ($32)
When I first started researching the vanlife, I picked up the Sprinter Buyers Guide.
After I bought my Sprinter van, I used this Sprinter Conversion Sourcebook to aid in the buildout.